[OT] Re: World Higher Ed: Gender Balanced True Govt(s) Outgrowing Mostly-Monogendermt(s)

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 13:50, John wrote:
> <rant on>
>
> I refer you to "Sex and Politics in Australia" by H.M. Revelman where it
> is explained in very simple terms how striving for gender equal
> representation in government is actually non-democratic

Thats assuming Australia is a democracy. Which it isn't. It's not even a
representational democracy. It is a meritocracy. People are elected to
rule based on merit (or perceived merit). Once elected they mostly tow
the party line. They *don't* re-present the views of their electorate in
Parliament, thus this is not a re-present-ational democracy. So becoming
more non-democratic really doesn't do anything for a system that isn't
democratic to start with.

</moreranting>

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington