Re: ATI video All-In-Wonder & TV

Kent West wrote:

Egor Tur wrote:

Hi.
I have ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X based on bt829 chip. What driver should I use in order to see TV? I have 2.4.19 kernell. Who have such card and who use TV? I try GATOS but it do not work in my. Does BTTV driver work with this chip?
Thanx.

Well, I have a Rage 128 PF/PRO AGP 4x on which I was watching TV via xawtv in X. But on my last apt-get update/upgrade, X 4.2.1 was installed, and I also upgraded to a stock 2.4.19 kernel (from a custom 2.4.18 one) and now xawtv reports that there's no such device as /dev/video0. So one of those two things (or a combination of the two) hosed my TV capabilities.

I only say this to give you hope that it will eventually work. Unfortunately, I don't have the answers as to "how". I tried downloading the Gatos ati.2 driver (I vaguely remember doing this before), but apparently it's for X 4.2.0 instead of 4.2.1. At any rate, it doesn't work for me either.

But I'm working on it.

Kent

Okay; got it working again. Here's what I did.

lspci -v reports:
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 PF/PRO AGP 4x TMDS (prog-if 00 [VGA])
       Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 Pro AIW AGP
Flags: bus master, stepping, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
       Memory at d4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
       I/O ports at c000 [size=256]
       Memory at d9000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
       Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
       Capabilities: <available only to root>

My /etc/apt/sources.list file contains:
deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

I ran dselect and did an update, followed by a select, and +'d the "kernel-source-2.4.19" entry and installed it. Then:
cd /usr/src
rm linux
bunzip kernel-source-2.4.19.tar.bz
tar -xvf kernel-source-2.4.19.tar
ln -x kernel-source-2.4.19 linux
cd linux
make menuconfig

changed my processor to AMD Duron/Athlon (since that's the chip I have)
turned off Symmetric multi-processing support
turned off PCMCIA/CardBus support
module'd parallel port support, PC_Style hardware, *'d IEEE 1284 transfer modes
left PnP on, but turned off ISA PnP (no ISA slots/devices)
turned off SCSI support (no SCSI devices)
turned off all ethernet 100 or 100Mbit support under network device support except for my card (DECchip Tulip)
in Character Devices, *'d ATI Rage 128
in Multimedia devices, *'d Video for Linux, *'d V4L information in proc filesystem under File systems, *'d Kernel automounter support, *'d Ext3 and JBD support, *'d FAT and MSDOS and VFAT
under File systems/Network File Sytems, module'd SMB support
under Console drivers, *'d Video mode selection support
under Sound, turned off Ensoniq and *'d VIA 82C686 Audio Codec, *'d TV card (bt848) support (haven't yet tested sound though)

exited and saved kernel configuration

ran "make-kpkg kernel_image"
then ran "make modules", followed by "make modules_install" (I know; this isn't the "correct" way to do it)

cd .. (to /usr/src)
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.19blahblahblah (did not allow lilo to run since I'm running grub; instead, manually editted /boot/grub/menu.lst to accomodate the new kernel)

rebooted

uname -a reports I'm running new kernel

startx

xawtv still didn't work.

googled for gatos; took first hit which led me to http://gatos.sourceforge.net/. Clicked on "ati.2", then "download area" under "Installing ati.2 binaries". Grabbed the "ATI-4.2.0-15.i386.tar.gz" file and saved it to ~/ati_dir.

cd
cd ati_dir (putting me in ~/ati_dir)
tar -xvzf ATI-4.2.0-15.i386.tar.gz

mv /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers.10Nov2002 (backing up the original directory) mv /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/multimedia /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/multimedia.10Nov2002 (ditto) cp -R X11R6/lib/modules/* /usr/X11R6/lib/modules (copying the unpacked files from ~/ati_dir/Xblahblahblah to the proper location)

restarted X

xawtv now works again. Yee-hi-i-i-!

Hope this helps.

Kent