Re: RFC: Caps Lock

on Sun, Nov 10, 2002, Thorsten Haude (debian@thorstenhau.de) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to get my caps lock key a new purpose (because I absolutely
> despise the current one) and want to hear your opinion about it.
>
> There are several options:
> - a second ctrl key
> - make a Modn key from the OS key, another Modn key from caps lock
> - make the same Modn key form OS key and caps lock
>
> So what are your thoughts about this? Is there another good use I
> could put caps lock to? Experiences?

~/.xmodmap to swap left-ctrl & caps-lock.  Invoke with:

Xmodmap ~/.xmodmap

!
! This is an `xmodmap' input file for
!   PC 104 key, wide Delete, short Enter (XFree86; US) keyboards.
! Automatically generated on Mon Feb  5 11:44:41 2001 by karsten with
! XKeyCaps 2.46; Copyright (c) 1999 Jamie Zawinski <jwz@jwz.org>.
! http://www.jwz.org/xkeycaps/
!
! This file presupposes that the keyboard is in the default state, and
! may malfunction if it is not.
!
remove Lock    = Caps_Lock
remove Control = Control_L

keycode 0x42 =	Control_L
keycode 0x25 =	Caps_Lock

add    Lock    = Caps_Lock Caps_Lock
add    Control = Control_L

! Euro:
keycode 26 = e E EuroSign

   How to unwedge / disable your X display manager login:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/xdm-disable.html