Re: WordPerfect 8.0 or WordPerfect Office 2000

on Mon, Nov 11, 2002, Haralambos Geortgilakis (haralambos@ihug.co.nz) wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> anyone hereabouts have joy getting either or both of these old beasts of
> verbal burden up & running on Debian 3.0?
>
> If so, any trix for one new to Debian & whose old Tux trix fail....

Possibly at Rick Moen's excellent "WordPerfect on Linux FAQ"

    http://www.linuxmafia.com/wpfaq/

Specifically:

    http://www.linuxmafia.com/wpfaq/problems.html#WONTINSTALL

    3.1. WP 8.0 DPE for Linux installs but won't start on my Linux
    distribution. How do I fix that?

    WP 8.0 for Linux was distributed as a dynamically linked binary,
    linked against the libc (C library), libm (the related math
    library), and ld-linux.so.1.9.*/ld.so-1.9.*, the dynamic-linker
    software current on Linux at that time. Those old libraries are
    often omitted from current Linux distributions. In such cases, you
    need to retrofit those libraries. (You can see the exact library
    links by running "ldd" = list library dependencies against the
    WordPerfect "xwp" main executable file.) You need to install
    ld-linux.so.1.9.* and ld.so-1.9.* (both usually in an ld.so
    package), libc of some version from 5.3.12 through 5.4.46, and
    libm.so.5.* (both usually in the libc5 package). Don't forget to
    ensure the libraries' directory is in /etc/ld.so.conf, and then
    re-run /sbin/ldconfig.

    What binary packages these libs and dynamic loader will occupy
    differs between distributions. If in doubt, documents linked from
    http://linux-sxs.org/edit.html may give details for your
    distribution.

Under Debian, the appropriate oldlibs packages may provide joy.

Peace.

   Support the EFF, they support you:  http://www.eff.org/