VGA=791 in Grub doesn't

I've been experimenting with my box this past week (upgrade from 2.4.18 to 2.4.19, framebuffer experiments, etc) In the process I hosed my boot sequence, so I used a Knoppix CD to get into the system and repair it. I mounted the / partition and chrooted it, made my repairs to lilo.conf and then re-ran lilo. After that I was able to boot just fine, but now a penguin graphic shows up in the top left corner during the boot process. What's generating that?

More importantly, why is my text screen coming up in 640x480 (as reported by fbset) when I have "vga=791" set in /boot/grub/menu.lst? I started off with the line:
   kopt=vga=791 root=/dev/hda2 ro
but when that didn't work I added the "vag=" to my boot stanza, like so:
   kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18 root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=791

I can successfully run "sudo fbset 1024x768-75" after I log in.

Thanks!

Kent