Re: VGA=791 in Grub doesn't

This one time, at band camp, Kent West said:
> I've been experimenting with my box this past week (upgrade from 2.4.18
> to 2.4.19, framebuffer experiments, etc) In the process I hosed my boot
> sequence, so I used a Knoppix CD to get into the system and repair it. I
> mounted the / partition and chrooted it, made my repairs to lilo.conf
> and then re-ran lilo. After that I was able to boot just fine, but now a
> penguin graphic shows up in the top left corner during the boot process.
> What's generating that?
>
> More importantly, why is my text screen coming up in 640x480 (as
> reported by fbset) when I have "vga=791" set in /boot/grub/menu.lst? I
> started off with the line:
>    kopt=vga=791 root=/dev/hda2 ro
> but when that didn't work I added the "vag=" to my boot stanza, like so:
>    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18 root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=791
>
> I can successfully run "sudo fbset 1024x768-75" after I log in.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kent

The penguin means the framebuffer is working - You don't need it, but
it's kind of cute.  The syntax is different for framebuffer resolutions
- take a look in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/ - there's files for
each of the supported framebuffer drivers, and examples of resolutions
and other stuff.

HTH,
--
                              |You may be sure that when a man begins to call
Stephen Gran                  |himself a "realist," he
steve@lobefin.net             |is preparing to do something he is secretly
http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |ashamed of doing.