Re: [Semi-OT] IMAP clients for other OS Plus my broken SID Apache

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Kenrick" <chriskenrick@yahoo.com.au>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2002 17:33
Subject: Re: [Semi-OT] IMAP clients for other OS Plus my broken SID
Apache

> On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 11:24:16AM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 11:07:19AM -0600, Gerald Livingston wrote:
> >
> > > I'd rather not use mutt because family members do send me funky
> > > formatted mail sometimes and I also use multiple "From: "
addresses,
> > > depending on which folder I'm in.
> >
> > I'm not following why these are reasons not to use Mutt.  Mutt is
more
> > than capable of handling the situation you describe.  In fact, Mutt
is
> > probably the most configurable MUA that you'll find (short of
possibly
> > emacs).
>
> I'd second that.  mutt under cygwin is probably your best bet.  On a
> Unix box, you can just add lines like

I have CygWin installed here. It's so slow on this box it's painful. If
were to choose to use Mutt I would just ssh to my home box with
Putty and use it that way. This is primarily for "weekend" use. I work
a straight 48 hour shift from Friday evening to Sunday evening. I've
gotten
really used to the likes of Sylpheed/Evolution/et. al. because my family
members
like to send lots of photo attachments and links to web pages etc. It's
just
easier to be working in a "(x)windows aware/graphical" client. With the
lists
I'm on a client that threads properly is also a must.

The firewall here blocks port 143 so what I'm currently doing is using
Putty
to open an ssh session with my home box and tunnel port 143 from there
port 143 here. Then I set an IMAP client (currently Outlook Express) to
look
at localhost:143. I'm currently having some sort of problem with OE
sending an
invalid request through the port occasionally that causes sshd to close
the
connection from my home system. I just fire up Putty again and all is
well until
the next time it happens. I could use CygWin ssh to do the same thing
but I'll
probably remove it. I installed it to try simply opening a remote X
session over
an ssh tunnel but it is unbearably slow on this machine (which has a
crappy built
in video card and only 128M of RAM which is being sucked up by
WinXP-Pro -- also only a 10G HD which is over half used at this point by
CygWin and the apps I have to have installed for work).

I have Opera installed here -- it's mail client doesn't seem to support
IMAP,
just POP3. I pulled the win32 version of both Sylpheed and
Sylpheed-claws.
Both fail to operate here. I read through all the documentation and made
sure I
had the latest DLL files as suggested but they both still fail when I
attempt to
actually open a message for reading. They load fine (but VERY slowly) up
that point and I can move around between IMAP folders and see how many
new messages are waiting in each folder etc. But as soon as I attempt to
actually
open a message for reading they lock up tight.

I'd rather not install something like Mozilla just for email -- and does
it thread
properly and allow multiple From addresses for a single IMAP account?

Bah! The limitations imposed by Windows and a slow machine are just
ticking me
off (as usual). I'll just get Woody cleaned up and finalized on my old
P-166 HP
Laptop and install Sylpheed there for remote use via ssh tunnel.

Thanks all for the various suggestions. I have to go back through and
manually
word-wrap this now and re-start Putty before I send it.