Restarting X after graphical login

I installed Woody 3.0 from official CDs and it gave me a graphical login (gdm). I prefer it to the command line login, but it means that configuration requiring restarting X presents problems. Often, a reboot is the only sure way.

In another thread, Joshua Lee wrote:
No need to reboot, this is not windows.

Well, I can use <ctrl><alt><F1> to run a different terminal session, login and start a new instance of X with 'startx -- :1'. There are some problems here:

Is there a better way?

Chris.

--
 ___   Chris Lale   <ctlale@netscape.net>
/   \
| <_/  My PC runs Debian GNU/Linux 3.0.
\      Robust, secure and free operating system + applications.
 \     Available at http://www.debian.org .