Re: Restarting X after graphical login

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Lale" <ctlale@netscape.net>

> Well, I can use <ctrl><alt><F1> to run a different terminal session,
> login and start a new instance of X with 'startx -- :1'. There are
some
> problems here:
>
> 1. X run the KDE desktop (not Gnome). This is not really a problem,
but
> it is annoying.
> 2. Sometimes KDE fails to start and I am left with a black screen.
When
> 3. I am not sure that the changes I am making are working correctly.
> There may be unexpected behaviour (eg while stopping and starting font
> servers, desktop menu fonts changed unexpectedly).
> 4. The original instance of X is still running <ctrl><alt><F7> and may
> be unaffected by the changes until X is restarted. The only way to
> restart is to reboot!
>
> Is there a better way?

First, don't bother starting a second X session on from the command
line. Either do whatever configuring you need to do right there in your
initial X then logout (since you're using Gnome) of that session so it
tosses you back to the GDM login screen OR, if you want to do all of
your setup/configuring from a command line just log out of X to the GDM
login prompt before getting started.

Now, when at the GDM login screen use CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to a console.
Complete whatever configurations you needed to do then, as root, type
'/etc/init.d/gdm restart'.

Personally, I usually drop to console then issue an '/etc/init.d/gdm
stop' then do any apt-get install/upgrades or config changes -- then
issue an '/etc/init.d/gdm start'.

Read through the scripts in /etc/init.d. you'll learn all sorts of
things about your system.

http://www.phorce1.com
http://www.buskatiers.org