Re: Installing TrueType fonts

Chris Halls <halls@debian.org> wrote on Fri, 8 Nov 2002 08:54:14 +0100:

Chris Halls <halls@debian.org>

>I'm afraid the situation is even uglier - the xfs protocol does not supply
>enough information about the fonts and OpenOffice writer can not use them.

I am not sure why you think this. I installed the 'verdana' ttf font files and verdana is available in OpenOffice 1.0.1 writer on my system (Woody 3.0 running xfs and xfstt as described in my previous post). Also available in the Gimp etc.

Really, I'm just quoting from what I have read, and I have had several
questions from people running a font server and wondering where their fonts
are.  This is a quote from the font troubleshooting FAQ for OOo:

----

OpenOffice.org uses two principal foundries of fonts. The first (legacy)
foundry is the XServer. These fonts are available for displaying only. The
second are TrueType and Type1 (PostScript) fonts that are read from a file.
They are rasterized using the FreeType library. They are available for
displaying and printing purposes. If a font is available from both foundries
rastering by FreeType is preferred.

The writer application offers only fonts that are available both for display
and for printing. Since fonts advertised only by the XServer are not
available for printing they often do not show up in the font list box of the
writer application. They do so only if the font name matches a font that is
resident in the selected printer (standard fonts like Helvetica, Times,
Courier are available in virtually all PostScript printer models).

---

What is your font path?  Are you sure that the fonts are not also available
there somehow?

I am not an expert - just a recipe-follower. I expect that I could have modified something without realising! The ttf fonts are in "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/". Here is the ttf font path in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4; it is commented out:

Section "Files"
	FontPath	"unix/:7101"     # ttf fonts preferred
	FontPath	"unix/:7100"	 # local font server
#	FontPath	"unix/:7110"	 # local font server
# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
#	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
#	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
#	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
#	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
#	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
#	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
#	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
#	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
EndSection

The fonts in "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" are all *.pcf.gz.

Here is the font path in /etc/X11/fs/config:

# paths to search for fonts
catalogue = /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic/,
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled,
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID,
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/

I suppose I could check by stopping the xfs and xfstt servers, but I don't know how to do this without removing the packages. Could I move xfs and xfstt out of /etc/init.d and reboot?

Chris
--
 ___   Chris Lale   <ctlale@netscape.net>
/   \
| <_/  My PC runs Debian GNU/Linux 3.0
\      Robust, secure and free operating system + applications.
 \     Available at http://www.uk.debian.org