Re: Trashed partition table

08.11.2002 18:01:57, Jorge Santos <jsf@ciencias.unam.mx> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I installed some other OS and id overworte the MBR, to make a long
>story short, I booted with ethe second woody disc and went for the
>rescue option at which point I was surprised to find out that fsck
>claimed one of the partitions had a bad superblock (it had an ext3 fs,
>and the kernel was 2.2.x, but I was under the impression that it would
>just mount it as an ext2 fs, so I don't think that was the problem),
>no problem, just a few hundred megs of mp3s there so I went on to run
>grub-install, but it didn't find stage2, so i made some floppies with
>grub-floppy and booted with that, they didn't work, to make another
>long story short, I booted into the install system and in a console I
>found that fdisk stated this about my partition table:
>
>Device          Boot    Start   End     Blocks          Id      System
>/dev/hda1        ?      20682   154408  1074152739       0       Empty
>
>Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
>phys(637, 190, 61) should be (637, 254, 63)
>

>So I gather the partition table is trashed.  So for my question:
>
>¿Is there any way to fix this mess?
>
>TIA
>
>Jorge Santos

I vaguely remember, there is a tool that guesses the partition table.
I've never had the need to use it, so I don't know exactly.

As a last resort, you can use
cfdisk -z
Which starts on an empty partition table.

Your problem sounds more like you've changed something in the settings for your disk.
I can imagine that something alike happens if you switch from head/sector/cylinder to LBA
or vice versa. I'd be surprised if the other OS is the reason.

Michael