Re: Promise RAID install problems

nate:

Thanks for your reply.

> these are really bad cards to use with under Linux.

I noticed that. The problem is that it is hard to get motherboards with
other built-in RAID controllers... :-/

> it looks to only support raid0,

Too bad, the only reason I use RAID is to do mirroring.

Anyway, I have now actually gotten the drivers from Promise to work
(the drivers for "Red Hat"). It does some weird things - the array
shows up multiple times in the disk list - but at least I was able to
install the system and boot into it properly.

What I did was to go to Promise, download their drivers, extract the
relevant zip file (for FastTrak 100, RedHat uniprocessor), find the
driver that most closely matched my setup (2.4.18-3/FastTrak.o) and put
it on a vfat floppy as per the Debian installation instructions. I then
loaded this module into the installation system, which made it find my
array.

I am going to try the native drivers from a newer 2.4 kernel later. For
now I'm happy that I got it working so far.

My problem now is that I cannot get LILO to boot my Windows
installation. The only thing that happens is that I get an error
message from NT saying that it cannot find the kernel. Does anyone know
if I can do some special tweaking to get this to work? I'm booting NT
from an NTFS partition, and Linux from a ext2 partition, which are the
two first partitions on the array (sda1 and sda2). I put LILO in the
MBR.

Please Cc me, I do not subscribe to this list due to the volume.
--
\\//
Peter - I do not read or respond to mail with HTML attachments.