X - window manager - desktop

Hello all,

I have a question regarding how linux sets up a GUI interface. As far as I can understand this, the first thing it needs to do is run the X server. I'm going to guess here and I will say that a window manager runs on top of the X? What exactly is a window manager? twm, enlightment, sawfish ... I guess some of these are the names and I've been using sawfish but I really can't say I know what it does. Then there is the desktop like gnome or kde which are just desktops. Can anyone explain this to me?

bp