Re: X - window manager - desktop

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 01:35:33AM -0500, Bruce Park wrote:
> the X? What exactly is a window manager? twm, enlightment, sawfish ... I

The window manager handles things like window title bars, resizing,
and other basic window elements.  You can run X without a window
manager, though you won't be able to manipulate windows easy or as
extensively as you can with a window manager.

> Then there is the desktop like gnome or kde which are just desktops. Can
> anyone explain this to me?

Desktop environments sit above the window manager similar to how
window managers sit above X.  The desktop environment provides things
like iconic drag and drop representation of your filesystem, usually a
Windows/Macish toolbelt, etc., oriented towards being a replacement to
actually using the command line.  Some people find desktop
environments useful, I find them slow, bloated and a shiny, chrome
waste of space.  YMMV.

--
 .''`.     Baloo Ursidae <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user