Re: Elementary Woody Firewall with DSL. Solved!

This one time, at band camp, Dan Hunt said:
> Crispin. I made the changes you suggested rebooted and now I'm back
> with a Debian Firewall protecting my Debian box. Thank You.
>
> Any suggestions on allowing streaming Audio through the Firewall to
> XMMS?
>
> Thank you Jeff, I will try inserting Disk #5 in the boot cd and
> install Debian with the 2.4 kernel soon.
>
> Microsoft Free and loving Debian GNU/Linux.  Dan Hunt St. Brieux
> Saskatchewan Canada

There is something new in iptables that wasn't in ipchains, that allows
connections already established.  A line like:
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
Will allow any already established connection through, even if that port
is otherwise firewalled.  I have all ports set to drop (except ssh) on
my firewall, but this allows all the NAT'ed boxes behind it to do
whatever they need to do.
Steve
--
"If a computer can't directly address all the RAM you can use, it's just a toy."
-- anonymous comp.sys.amiga posting, non-sequitir