Re: Working with one kernel not with other

Jens Kubieziel <maillist@kuwest.de> writes:
> I compiled new 2.4.19-kernel with make-kpkg yesterday. I also compiled
> alsa-source 0.9b12 which works well with kernel-2.4.18.

To check, you did 'make-kpkg modules-image' to build the ALSA kernel
modules, yes?  When you say "works well with kernel 2.4.18", is it
with the same ALSA version?

> But when I start with my new kernel I get an error message that
> /dev/mixer cant be opened. I belong to the audio group, so it should
> be no prob to open it.

Do you have the snd-mixer-oss module loaded, maybe?  Does that
(character-special) file exist?  Are you using devfs?  (If so, have
you reconfigured devfsd, and do you have a /dev/sound/mixer?)

	-- Abra Mitchell