Re: Web site users, and ftp

Ok, I am having a hard time being new to linux and all. Basically I am looking for the Standard procedure for setting up an apache server, and ftp for users on a debian box.

Someone first tells me not to use FTP, and use some windows util that none of my clients will have. I am at a loss, isn't FTP what everyone uses, they sure did on the window servers I use to administrate.

You have to figure that I am a newbie and I don't know all the different ways of doing things, but I was hoping that there was a way that the Average administrator would set up things.

I looked into this UserDir module, but I am failing to see how that is going to help me, for all it seems to do is map a web site to a users directory. I failed to find a page that explained just what it does, I only found reference in experienced terms.

What I need to know is what FTP program would be best to use so that I don't have to instruct users on this. Also need to know where I should store my HTML files. (/var/www) or (/home/*user/www) ? I don't know how to use Umask yet, can this set permissions in a Certain directory so that all new files created in that directory are a certian permission?

I see much more documentation needed in the Linux world if this is going to be easyier on newbies, there is plenty of reference, but the system lacks Layman terms, or terms that explain how something works as a whole, or how something should be setup for a certain situation. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong spot, but the apache web site dosen't seem to help much with how things should be done, they only seem to give reference for experiance users and I am far from a experienced user.

Sorry if I sound upset, I am just frustrated spending all day on something that takes 5 mintues on a windows server.

-Debuser

Brooks R. Robinson wrote:

| So, I have a few users I want to add to my web server, but I have a
| question or two.
|
| So with apache installed, I am not sure where I should store all the web
| data, previously I was storing in /var/www.
|
| I wan't users to be able to upload their content easily without hassle.
|
| Problem 1.  When a user connects thorough ftp, presently they have to
| change to the /var/www/users folder to upload data.  This is a problem
| because not only will they have trouble changing directorys, a smart
| user can browse my entire server from ftp.
|
| Problem 2.  When a user uploads a file, they have to change permissions
| on that file, problem is that a lot of users, will be using Dreamweaver,
| and Dreamweaver requires a Permissions extension to allow changing a
| permission, I don't want to have to explain to them how to use this.
|
| I came from a Micro$oft enviroment where all this mentioned above was
| done automaticly, is there any way to make this an automatic process to
| eliminate the users calling me all the time?
|
| Maybe I should be putting all the web site files in the users home
| directory, that would make the directory change easier, but I don't
| think it will solve the permissions problem.  maybe there is a way to
| make the permissions in the users directory to default to 755 or
| something.  I have been having trouble finding these answers, if there
| is a page I can read, then I will I just need to know where to look.

Greetings,
	Let the users manage it themselves.  Typically, (to avoid this very
problem), users put their content into a public_html directory, such as
/home/robinson/public_html.  From there they can change the permissions
themselves or you can give then a umask.  The files are available from the
web server at http://servername/~robinson.  I have also done a symlink in
/usr/lib/cgi-bin to a /home/robinson/cgi-bin directory to let them do
cgi-bin work.  Most of these setting are in the plain vanilla settings for
apache.

HTH,

Brooks