Re: Web site users, and ftp

begin  Debian User quote on Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 11:52:29AM -0800:
> Basically I am looking for the Standard procedure for setting up an
> apache server, and ftp for users on a debian box.

Well, there isn't really a standard procedure...

> Someone first tells me not to use FTP, and use some windows util that
> none of my clients will have.  I am at a loss, isn't FTP what everyone
> uses, they sure did on the window servers I use to administrate.

I wouldn't use FTP: it's generally more trouble than it's worth.  If
you've got mostly Windows clients, maybe you could use samba to make
your webserver look like a Windows File Share so that people could just
upload files to publish them.

> You have to figure that I am a newbie and I don't know all the different
> ways of doing things, but I was hoping that there was a way that the
> Average administrator would set up things.

Not really.  You're going to have a learn stuff as you go.

> I looked into this UserDir module, but I am failing to see how that is
> going to help me, for all it seems to do is map a web site to a users
> directory.  I failed to find a page that explained just what it does, I
> only found reference in experienced terms.

mod_userdir is what lets you have http://example.com/~username work.
You probably don't need it unless you have people in your org who "know"
Unix-isms.

> What I need to know is what FTP program would be best to use so that I
> don't have to instruct users on this.

Don't use them.

> Also need to know where I should store my HTML files. (/var/www) or
> (/home/*user/www) ?

It depends on what you are trying to do.  Do you need one site per user?
Do you just want an internal webserver for people to publish?

> I don't know how to use Umask yet, can this set permissions in a Certain
> directory so that all new files created in that directory are a certian
> permission?

Sort of.  umask only works for processes.  So, the trick is to set the
umask for whatever fileserver you end up using to give the permissions
that you want.  samba can do this, I'm sure that ftp servers can, too.

> I see much more documentation needed in the Linux world if this is going
> to be easyier on newbies, there is plenty of reference, but the system
> lacks Layman terms, or terms that explain how something works as a
> whole, or how something should be setup for a certain situation.  Maybe

Have you looked through the HOWTO documentation?  It sounds like what
you want might be in there.  http://www.tldp.org

> I am just looking in the wrong spot, but the apache web site dosen't
> seem to help much with how things should be done, they only seem to give
> reference for experiance users and I am far from a experienced user.

Well, it sounds like you should start by reading through the
documentation that you have available to you, and then work from there.

> Sorry if I sound upset, I am just frustrated spending all day on
> something that takes 5 mintues on a windows server.

Well, yeah.  You know how Windows works already.  I don't think that you
can expect to pick up a totally different way of doing things in a day
and expect to be just as fast...