Re: gnome2 + enlightenment

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 06:02:12AM -0500, John M Flinchbaugh wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 10:56:59PM -0500, Travis Crump wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity, does enlightenment otherwise work with Gnome
> 2?
> > Is this a major irritant or something fairly minor(I don't quite
> > understand what you mean)?  Do multiple desktops work properly(each
> is
> > allowed to have its own background and Alt+F[1-4] switches them)?
> Any
> > other major issues?  I have been reticent to upgrade to Gnome 2 since
> > have seen things to suggest that enlightenment never intends support
> > Gnome 2 since e17 is supposed to be a desktop environment so I was
> > curious as to your experience.
>
> when i made the upgrade, i was disappointed to see that e's virtual
> desktops didn't work out well with gnome's concept of virtual
> desktops.  not i was trying *virtual* (same background and all that)
> not *multiple* desktops.
>
> sawfish seemed broken by design too, as i could not arrange desktops
> in a 2x3 grid and switch up and down.

Apparently that's not a bug, it's a feature.  GNOME 2 is supposed to be
greatly simplified, which means a lot of nifty but complicated features
got cut.  Have a look at the archives for d-d this week to see how
pissed off this has made some people (someone wants to fork GNOME 1.4 to
keep it alive in Debian).

-rob