Re: gnome2 + enlightenment

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 10:56:59PM -0500, Travis Crump wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, does enlightenment otherwise work with Gnome
2?
> Is this a major irritant or something fairly minor(I don't quite
> understand what you mean)?  Do multiple desktops work properly(each
is
> allowed to have its own background and Alt+F[1-4] switches them)?
Any
> other major issues?  I have been reticent to upgrade to Gnome 2 since
> have seen things to suggest that enlightenment never intends support
> Gnome 2 since e17 is supposed to be a desktop environment so I was
> curious as to your experience.

when i made the upgrade, i was disappointed to see that e's virtual
desktops didn't work out well with gnome's concept of virtual
desktops.  not i was trying *virtual* (same background and all that)
not *multiple* desktops.

sawfish seemed broken by design too, as i could not arrange desktops
in a 2x3 grid and switch up and down.

after much fiddling around, i settled on metacity, though it's focus
on mouse behavior isn't quite what i think it should be.  when
switching desktops, it doesn't count warping to a desktop as entering
the window, so it doesn't switch focus to whatever window your mouse
is sitting in when you get there.  you have to leave the window then
come back.  you also can't seem to be able to drag windows between
desktops.  in the e sense, i think they are *multiple* and not
*virtual*.

it's been a bit of an adjustment.
--
| glynis@hjsoft.com         http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |