Re: No longer able to use eth0 with 2.4.19

On 2002.11.04 10:17 Johann Spies wrote:
On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 09:52:00AM -0500, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> I upgraded my kernel to 2.4.19-3-686 on my laptop (Gateway Solo
9300)
> over the weekend.

Upgraded as in "apt-get install" ... or did you recompile it?

apt-get install
If you did an apt-get install, try inserting the correct module using
modprobe or insmod or modconf (which will update your
/etc/modules.conf).

If you recompiled the kernel, check your kernel configuration whether
you have selected the correct module there.

Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure how to proceed. I've never in the past had to modify /etc/modules.conf. Instead, I've used modconf to ensure that yenta_socket was loaded and have been able to just install the kernel image, update grub and go from there without a problem. The only thing I've ever had to manually do was modify /etc/network/interfaces to have "iface eth0 inet dhcp" and have changed /etc/pcmcia/config-2.4 to change all references (in the past) for "orinoco" to "wvlan" (this isn't necessary anymore) to work with my wireless card. But, for this wired card, I've never had to do anything to get it to work. As a matter of fact, the installation on my old hard drive is practically identical to this installation and has worked without any manual changes. I didn't do anything differently this time, but just can't seem to get it to work. :(

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce@telocity.com>
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://welcome.to/mcpierce>