Re: PS 2 Wheel Mouse Problem

Christian Banik said:
> Dear Debian Users,
>
> i've got problems with my wheel mouse. I wrote the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
> file  myself (no concept of some of the entries there)in parts.
> It worked 2 weeks very good, but now the mouse arrow freeze after 30
> seconds  under X11. I've added my XF86 Config file, perhaps you see my
> mistake. The  configured and generic mouse are both necessary i realized.
>
> Under SuSE the same mouse is OK, so it's not a hardware problem
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
> 	Driver		"mouse"
> 	Option		"CorePointer"
> 	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
> 	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
> 	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
> 	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier	"Generic Mouse"
> 	Driver		"mouse"
> 	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
> 	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
> 	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
> 	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
> 	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
> EndSection

I would get rid of one of these 2 sections. if your using
a PS/2 mouse get rid of the second section.

Also check to be sure GPM is not running, I reccomend removing
it completely unless you have a specific use for it:

apt-get remove gpm

> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"Generic Video Card"
> 	Driver		"nv"
> 	Option		"dpms"		"true"
> EndSection

your using the nv driver not the nvidia driver? Question: does
the mouse freeze or does the whole X session freeze? that is,
can you CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to kill/restart X or not? If not,
then maybe its a nv driver bug.

> Section "ServerLayout"
> 	Identifier	"Default Layout"
> 	Screen		"Default Screen"
> 	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
> 	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
> 	InputDevice	"Generic Mouse"
> EndSection

I'd also remove the Generic Mouse entry from above to corrispond
with the removal of the section

And I reccomend backing up your config file before doing this
so you can undo it easily if needed.

Also are you using a KVM? many KVMs don't like wheels. even my
KVM which the manual says it supports wheels, I've only got it
to run with a wheel once or twice, and the rest of the time the
wheel doesn't seem to work. so I hookup a 2nd pointer, a cordless
USB trackball to my main desktop so I can use the wheel on it.

nate