Re: locales and accented charaters

on Wed, 30 Oct 2002 07:30:10PM +0100, martin f krafft insinuated:
> also sprach nori heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [2002.10.30.1920 +0100]:
> > wait, did i just hear you admit that there is something linux
> > can't do with a little careful reading of manpages, random
> > experimentation, and and a few minutes of scripting?  ;)
>
> you heard me say that i don't have the time to dive into it. i am
> sure linux can do it, at the very moment i am a little sad that it
> can't be as easy as 1-2-3...

once i teach my robots to play soccer and my computer to play hawaiian
checkers, i will do it for you ;)

> > and i don't know anything about the paper format or why phone
> > numbers have anything to do with locales.
>
> do you know what locales are?

obviously not well ... that's partially why i'm asking these
questions!

> they control all forms of localization.

you mean, like, telling robots where they are?  :-P  i don't know what
that covers in terms of

> and while (xxx) xxx-xxxx may seem standard to people in the US, and
> the Letter-sized paper may be the default for 260 Mio. people, other
> countries tend to do things differently ;^>.

i was not trying to question why these things are formatted
differently in different countries, but rather understand how locales
governed them.

> in fact, run `locale`

i have, about eighty times in the past week ...

> and look at the variable names to get some
> idea of what can be controlled with locales...

jaja.  so, i see now some of the things i'd been ignoring, like
LC_PAPER, LC_TELEPHONE, and LC_ADDRESS.  my implicit question was
unclear: in what circumstances / applications / whatever are these
seemingly obscure locales actually used?  the bash man page only
describes a few, not including the ones above, and the locale man page
only says really useless things like "LC_TELEPHONE: Telephone number
formats."

so, now i'm curious.

</nori>

--