Re: locales and accented charaters

on Sun, 27 Oct 2002 08:56:36AM +0100, Oliver Fuchs insinuated:
> Hi,
> here is what I did:
> run dpkg-reconfigure localeconf
> set all questions about languages to de_DE.ISO-8859-15
> If that works do the same procedure but setting it to
> en_US.ISO-8859-1 and
> Hope you succeed.

thank you!  that didn't work for me directly, but the menus in the
localeconf configuration process gave me enough of an idea of what the
various variables were doing to start playing around with exporting
them ... finally i just did the draconian 'export
LC_ALL=en_US.ISO-8859-1' and now everything's great.  thanks for
pointing me in the right direction!

only problem is ... previously, i'd had LC_ALL=POSIX, which made ls
not intersperse dot-files and non dot-files (which i hate).  just
exporting LC_COLLATE=POSIX after I export LC_ALL in my ~/.zshenv
doesn't seem to do it.

there must be a way to individually set these different locales to
different things, no?

thanks again,

</nori>

--