Re: [debian-user] How to pronounce "Debian"?

>--[Craig Dickson]--<crdic@pacbell.net>
> Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:

> > That leaves the question how to pronounce "DEHB", "ee", "un", "deeb" and "e".
> DEHB-ee-un would presumably rhyme with "day bay soon", right? (Just
> kidding.)
> Hopefully that is reasonably clear and unambiguous to anyone whose
> English is good enough to cope with most of the messages on this list.

Yes, I suppose I understood. However, my point was the implicit arrogance in
assuming that a nebulous description of "sounds like" is understood by
non-native English speakers, when there is a well-defined way of describing
it precisely.

> > Guess what we have an international agreed upon phonetical alphabet for.
> Perhaps I'm misremembering, but the "internationally agreed-upon
> phonetic alphabet" isn't perfectly expressible in 7-bit ASCII, is it?

No, why should it? My name isn't perfectly expressible in US-ASCII as well,
nonetheless your response contained it uncrippled. If even HTML mails are
accepted on this list (unfortunately :-((((, my biggest non-spam HTML mail
source), then utf-8 shouldn't be a problem (even less so iso-8859-1). [1]

> <sarcasm> Besides, in accordance with current American foreign policy, I
> pay no attention to all these "international agreements" that foreigners
> try to impose on me. </sarcasm>

And why should you restrict others by doing it the so-called "American"
way...? Looks like you understood my point... *g*

>--[Nori Heikkinen]--<nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu>
> on Tue, 29 Oct 2002 02:06:04PM -0800, Craig Dickson insinuated:
> > Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:
> > > Guess what we have an international agreed upon phonetical
> > > alphabet for.
> > Perhaps I'm misremembering, but the "internationally agreed-upon
> > phonetic alphabet" isn't perfectly expressible in 7-bit ASCII, is
> > it?
> nope, but that's why we have TeX & tipa.  woo-hoo LaTeX!  the biggest
> time-sink i know ... :)

No, that's what we have utf-8 and MIME for.

>--[Nori Heikkinen]--<nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu>
> http://www.maenad.net/debian/debian.jpg ?

['dεb.i.jɪn]     ['d&epsilon;b.i.j&#0260;n]

The question remains why it isn't on the Debian web page, then...

Yours, Rüdiger.

[1] I know some trolls ignore people that don't use US-ASCII.

--
         100 DM sind  51 �  13 �.
         100 �  sind 195 DM 58 pf.