Re: locales and accented charaters

on Sun, 27 Oct 2002 03:07:23PM -0800, Carl Johnson insinuated:
> Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> writes:
> > on Sun, 27 Oct 2002 01:48:27PM -0500, Stephen Gran insinuated:

> > > You can alias 'ls = LC_COLLATE=POSIX ls' in your ~/.zshenv (I
> > > think - using bash here, not sure how zsh deals with aliases).
> >
> > zsh deals with aliases pretty much the same as bash.
> >
> > tried that before aliasing it -- i didn't know you could just
> > specify a variable setting for a single command, that's cool! --
> > but it doesn't seem to work.  `LC_ALL=POSIX ls` does, though ...
> > weird.  i don't know why the individual locale variables don't
> > seem to work.  but i will alias that, and then my problems will be
> > solved.  thanks!
>
> No, I think the previous poster was right.  I think you really want
> just LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1 (or whatever) and LC_COLLATE=C (same as
> POSIX).  If you unset all other LC_* variables, then LC_ALL won't be
> necessary, and you won't need an alias for ls.  I've been through a
> similar process, and that is all that is necessary.
>
> The LANG variable is the master for all of the other LC_* variables,
> and each default to it.  If any of the LC_* variables is
> individually set then that value is used instead of the LANG
> default.  LC_ALL overrides all of the other LC_* variables and LANG,
> but I can't see any reason it should ever be needed.

in theory, i can see how this all makes sense.  but while it sets
LC_COLLATE right, it fails to affect whatever specific variable is
responsible for displaying accented characters within mutt.  all i
should need would be the following two lines, right?  and to make sure
nothing else is clobbering them?

export LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1
export LC_COLLATE=C

but no dice.  i also tried LANG=en_US, with the exact same results.
i don't understand why your solution doesn't work, but it doesn't seem
to.  thanks, though!

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu