Re: exim - what is missing in my set-up?

Once you do this, email should go wherever you want, and to the
outside world your originating mail will look like it was from
deshmukh <at> escortsmumbai.com (or whatever you have chosen above).

yes. it has strted going to all the addresses now. in fact, i had changed the exim.conf before i read it. but now, i think, it will show a proper from address. by the way, in /etc/email-addresses, can i map the local username to a non-existent e-mail address?? i am trying it.

After you get this working you can take the next step (which I see you
have started on) of running fetchmail or some such client to get your
email from a POP or IMAP server that actually does receive mail for
deshmukh@escortsmumbai.com.

yes. i am on to it already. so will it mark beginning of new threads on fetrchmail? ;)

It was deshmukh <at> zapho.net if I remember right. The one where you
were not able to send mail to. Maybe it never did get to you.

well, i did get it!

Anyway, good luck! I think you are almost there.

well, almost. i can already use text console to send messages. i am unable to use mozilla, though.

When I started using
Debian some 18 months ago (after 6 - 7 years of being a dedicated
Slackware user) exim was all new to me and I told myself that someday
I would sit down and figure out what was really going on. Thanks to
you, I've got started :-)

i am only a 'nimitta'!

- sandip