Re: exim - what is missing in my set-up?

    "Sandip" == Sandip P Deshmukh <Sandip> writes:

    Sandip> Shyamal Prasad wrote:
    >> What are qualify_domain and qualify_recipent set to at the top
    >> of your exim.conf file? If you say 'deshmukh.work' for any of
    >> them I'd be pretty confident that you've found your (next? :-)
    >> problem.
    >>
    Sandip> for qualify_domain it says
    Sandip> deshmukh.work. qualify_receipient line is commented
    Sandip> out. could you elaborate a bit more here?

Ah! Now we are getting some where.

By setting qualify_domain to deshmukh.work you have told exim to use
deshmukh.work as the default domain name added to unqualified
addresses in outgoing mail. As a result, if you username on the Debian
box is deshmukh, your return path is going to look like
"deshmukh@deshmukh.work". This being an invalid domain it is likely
that it is being bounced somewhere. But the bounce will never get back
to you since there is no routable return address.

I would recommend the following settings:

- qualify_domain should be a real domain where you can get real email
(escortsmumbai.com should work since you really are deshmukh <at>
escortsmumbai.com).

- qualify_receipient should be set to the hostname of your Debian box
(leave out any domain part, just use a pure host name). This allows
delivery of mail to local users.

- local_domains should be set to the string "localhost:hostname" where
you should use your hostname for the second word.

Basically, what this does is set a valid return address in many
headers, and also allows mail to be sent to local users on the Debian
box. You could mail "deshmukh@localhost" without going to the smtp
server, but mail to "deshmukh <at> escortsmumbai.com" would jump to
the SMTP server with a valid return path of "deshmukh <at>
escortsmumbai.com".

Finally, edit /etc/email-addresses and and map your user id (I assumed
it was deshmukh above) to your real public email address where you
recieve public mail (which I assumed above is "deshmukh <at>
escortsmumbai.com"). If you do this, exim will automatically transform
your "From" header on all outgoing email to something people really
want to have.

Once you do this, email should go wherever you want, and to the
outside world your originating mail will look like it was from
deshmukh <at> escortsmumbai.com (or whatever you have chosen above).

After you get this working you can take the next step (which I see you
have started on) of running fetchmail or some such client to get your
email from a POP or IMAP server that actually does receive mail for
deshmukh@escortsmumbai.com.

    >> PS: I took the liberty of trying to send a test message to the
    >> address you used above that had a broken From header.
    >>
    Sandip> what address do you mean? sorry - i am confused here!

It was deshmukh <at> zapho.net if I remember right. The one where you
were not able to send mail to. Maybe it never did get to you.

Anyway, good luck! I think you are almost there. When I started using
Debian some 18 months ago (after 6 - 7 years of being a dedicated
Slackware user) exim was all new to me and I told myself that someday
I would sit down and figure out what was really going on. Thanks to
you, I've got started :-)

Cheers!
Shyamal