Re: exim - what is missing in my set-up?

    "Sandip" == Sandip P Deshmukh <Sandip> writes:

    Sandip> 2002-10-25 12:15:23 184yDi-0000Fl-00 <= sandip@deshmukh.work U=sandip P=local S=320 2002-10-25 12:15:23 184yDi-0000Fl-00 => deshmukh@zapo.net R=smarthost
    Sandip> T=remote_smtp H=192.168.100.1 [192.168.100.1] 2002-10-25 12:15:23 184yDi-0000Fl-00 Completed

    Sandip> it fails to send the mail to the to: address.

    Sandip> now, my question is, what do i need to do to get exim
    Sandip> working?

Actually, I think it is working. I think the above lines indicate that
the message was accepted and delivered to the smarthost (it's been a
while since I've seen a failure so I can't be sure). You can verify
with 'exim -bp' to see if you queue is empty. You can also look in the
paniclog and rejectlog to determine if something is wrong.

    Sandip> can i use 192.168.100.1 as smarthost? can i use some other
    Sandip> server as smarthost? how do i know which server i can and
    Sandip> which i can not?

Yes, you can use 192.168.100.1. The answers to the other questions can
only come your local network admins (they decide policy), unless that
person is you! Any host that accepts SMTP for your mail can be a
smarthost.

    Sandip> what if there is no smart host to do the job for me? can i
    Sandip> not use exim? and will i have to always use mozilla with
    Sandip> an smtp server specified for delivering mail - the windows
    Sandip> way?

Don't panic! You will get it to work (keep in mind that in the last
year you are the rare Debian user on this list who has had so much
trouble with exim, so perhaps this might be a local problem with your
network, rather than with Debian's exim setup).

I think your problem might be the @deshmukh.work domain name you
invented for yourself. Something or someone in the mail delivery path
is upset with it and is not accepting your mail. As a result, the mail
is being bounced back to you, but it can't reach you. (If it was your
local exim that was upset, this is exactly the kind of message that
would be "frozen").

What are qualify_domain and qualify_recipent set to at the top of your
exim.conf file? If you say 'deshmukh.work' for any of them I'd be
pretty confident that you've found your (next? :-) problem.

Also, if you can look at the logs on the NT server you should verify
that exim did send the mail, and check to see what the NT server does
next.

Cheers!
Shyamal

PS: I took the liberty of trying to send a test message to the address
you used above that had a broken From header. My exim was a little too
well configured and it fixed it my broken message for me. So you got
it. Apologies for the spam ;-)