Re: Switching between X and consoles with stock kernel?

Lance Simmons sez:
} On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 04:44:02PM +0200, shaulka@bezeqint.net wrote:
} > >
} > > I'm trying to move from compiling my own kernels without initrd to
} > > using a stock debian kernel with initrd, and have run into a
} > > problem: when I try to swtich from X to the console, X freezes up,
} > > forcing a reboot.
} >
} > Can you boot into the console? You can try that by disabling booting
} > into X.
}
} Yes, I can.  (I don't boot into X.)  I'm pretty sure the problem is
} related to my USB mouse.  By loading and unloading modules I've been
} able to focus the problem:
}
} If I don't load USB modules, but load mousedev, I can start X, but with
} no mouse.  (That makes sense, since it's a USB mouse.)  I can return to
} the console normally!
}
} If I load USB modules, and then load mousedev, I can start X with mouse
} support, but can't get back to the console.  As soon as I try to switch
} to a console or exit X, everything freezes up.
}
} I haven't been able to start X without loading mousedev.
}
} Anyway, at least it seems pretty clearly to be a USB mouse related
} problem.  Perhaps there's some secret recipe for loading those modules
} correctly.  In the past I've just compiled USB support directly into the
} kernel, and never had a problem.

I've had all kinds of issues with a USB mouse (actually a trackball). My
solution was simple, yet works great. I use gpm to deal with the USB
mouse (its input is /dev/input/mice, which uses the input module and, I
think, usb-uhci), and have it repeat as "ms3" to /dev/gpmdata. Now gpm
works in the console, and the X server uses /dev/gpmdata as an
"IntelliMouse" and all is well. You may have to tweak what gpm thinks
/dev/input/mice is, but "imps2" works for me.

}  -o)   Lance Simmons
--Greg