Re: Switching between X and consoles with stock kernel?

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 04:44:02PM +0200, shaulka@bezeqint.net wrote:

> > I'm trying to move from compiling my own kernels without initrd to
> > using a stock debian kernel with initrd, and have run into a
> > problem: when I try to swtich from X to the console, X freezes up,
> > forcing a reboot.
>
> Can you boot into the console? You can try that by disabling booting
> into X.

Yes, I can.  (I don't boot into X.)  I'm pretty sure the problem is
related to my USB mouse.  By loading and unloading modules I've been
able to focus the problem:

If I don't load USB modules, but load mousedev, I can start X, but with
no mouse.  (That makes sense, since it's a USB mouse.)  I can return to
the console normally!

If I load USB modules, and then load mousedev, I can start X with mouse
support, but can't get back to the console.  As soon as I try to switch
to a console or exit X, everything freezes up.

I haven't been able to start X without loading mousedev.

Anyway, at least it seems pretty clearly to be a USB mouse related
problem.  Perhaps there's some secret recipe for loading those modules
correctly.  In the past I've just compiled USB support directly into the
kernel, and never had a problem.

--
  _
 -o)   Lance Simmons