RE: Booting from Debian CD

Mark Copper said on 26 October 2002 7:59 AM

>I'm trying to reinstall Debian.  It's a 3 yr old PC but I put in a new
>hard disk drive and power supply.  I've told the BIOS to boot from the CD,
>but I get the message "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press
>enter".  I tried 3 cd drives, tried both my Debian 3.0 and old 2.2 cd's,
>both of which I've used successfully before (even on this box), same
>result.  The BIOS recognizes each drive correctly, it appears; I've
>double-checked the jumper settings on the drives.  hmmm.
>
>What silly thing have I done?
>
>Should I create boot floppies, return old hard disk to master position?
>
>Feeling dumb but appreciative in advance.
>
>Mark

Mark,

If I understand correctly you have multiple drives on this PC.  Remove all
but one.  Set that one to master and try it then (best way I can see to
troubleshoot situation.)  If one drive fails, try the next one.  I presume
the CDs are ok, and you've checked them on another machine.  I'd also try
reflashing the BIOS on the aforementioned machine.  That's about all I can
think of on a dreary Sydney sunday morning whilst i'm still half asleep.
Hope it works.

Dave