Re: mail in linux

    "Sandip" == Sandip P Deshmukh <Sandip> writes:

    Sandip> Shyamal Prasad wrote: 2.  can i ask fetchmail to download
    Sandip> only headers and delete unwanted headers off the server
    Sandip> only?
    >>  Don't know.

    Sandip> i read up the documentation. from what i understand, it
    Sandip> can not. dont you think downloading headers alone first,
    Sandip> deleting unwanted ones off the server itself and finally
    Sandip> downloading the required ones is a more efficient way (in
    Sandip> terms of internet bandwidth)? is there any way of
    Sandip> achieving it?

<disclaimer>Below I am not helping you find something that only
downloads headers</>

More efficent?

This depends on how you are going to use your Debian box. What you say
is true if your MUA was fetching mail, like on many Window's
clients. You hit a button that tells the MUA "go get my mail", and
wait while the download completes. Sure, getting headers first would
be nice. With an IMAP client this pretty much works for many people.

You can run fetchmail like this. Basically, everytime you want to get
mail you run fetchmail from the command line. If you have a permanent
connection to the net, or nearly permanent (semi automatic, or on
demand dialling or something), this can be a waste of time. Why fetch
the mail when you are waiting to read it? Get the mail before you
reach your terminal!

Typically, in such a scenario, you will run fetchmail as a daemon. In
my case, it polls my POP mailbox every 5 minutes, 24 hours a day, 7
days a week. I never turn off my computer. When I read mail, it is all
there on my local machine. Headers and all. Sure, it takes more
bandwidth, but I'm not billed for bytes transferred, or the the time I
am connected to the network.

Cheers!
Shyamal