Re: xhost +localhost doesn't work

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 11:31:12 -0700, Earl F Hampton wrote:

>On Saturday 26 October 2002 10:25 am, Haim Ashkenazi wrote:
>> On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 13:32, Larry Alkoff wrote:
>> > Forgive me for posting a Libranet question here
>> > but Libranet is a very close Debian clone
>> > and there is a much greater volume of expertise here.
>> >
>> > I'm trying to use xhost +localhost in Libranet 2.7
>>
>> Try 'xhost + localhost' (and not +localhost).
>>
>Try xhost +local:localhost
>
>I think it defaults to inet. So xhost +localhost is the same as
>xhost +inet:localhost which isn't what you want unless you're also setting
>$DISPLAY to an ip.

Strangely enough if I try various variations of localhost
xhost
which should show me the allowed connections
always shows me the same things:

LOCAL:
INET:localhost

With an xhost - in between I have tried:
xhost +localhost
xhost +local:localhost
xhost -                         !! should clear everything
xhost +

The only difference is if I go
xhost +linda
then  added to the list displayed with a simple xhost is:
INET:linda
LOCAL:
INET:localhost

Linda is a computer on my internal network with a fixed IP in /etc/hosts.

Any idea what this all means?

Larry

Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX