Re: mail in linux

This one time, at band camp, Sandip P Deshmukh said:
> Stephen Gran wrote:
> >If you're like me, you have a multi-user box (only 4 or 5, but
> >still), and want mail to work for all users with all standard mail
> >clients.
> >
> exactly. set that number to 2!
>
> >So, I set up exim to handle all the outgoing mail, fetchmail to pick
> >up all the incoming mail,
> >
> will that mean that all users will have to disclose their passwords to
> me??

If they want their mail picked up a fetchmail demon, yes.  You can tell
them to write their own .fetchmailrc, and cat /$HOME/.fetchmailrc >>
/etc/fetchmailrc if it makes you feel better to not look at it.

> >>2.    can i ask fetchmail to download only headers and delete
> >>unwanted headers off the server only?
> >
> >No - this would be a great addition, though - maybe file a wishlist
> >bug?
> >
> HOW?

`bug fetchmail` - set priority to wishlist.  `bugview fetchmail` to make
sure this is not already requested first.

> >Any or all of the standard mail clients can read from the mailspool
> >and your other mboxes.  Some have trouble with Maildir or MH style
> >boxes, but I think most can handle them fine.
> >
> well, mozilla cant handle it. it has options only for pop3 and imap!
> how does it read fetchmailed messages?

I don't personally use Mozilla mail, but I would be very suprised if it
*couldn't* read from the mailspool - I will leave this to others to
describe for you, since I don't know.

Steve

--
I can relate to that.