Re: mail in linux

Stephen Gran wrote:

If you're the only user on that box, and don't plan to move to another
mail client ever, the easiest is to pick one client and configure it.
If you want the repetitive tasks done for you, and like to tinker a bit,
there's plenty that can be done . . .

ah! i do not mind starting afresh. but the threat of being stuck with only one client forever is just too large!

If you're like me, you have a multi-user box (only 4 or 5, but still),
and want mail to work for all users with all standard mail clients.

exactly. set that number to 2!

 So,
I set up exim to handle all the outgoing mail, fetchmail to pick up all
the incoming mail,

will that mean that all users will have to disclose their passwords to me??

2.    can i ask fetchmail to download only headers and delete unwanted
headers off the server only?

No - this would be a great addition, though - maybe file a wishlist bug?

HOW?

Any or all of the standard mail clients can read from the mailspool and
your other mboxes.  Some have trouble with Maildir or MH style boxes,
but I think most can handle them fine.

well, mozilla cant handle it. it has options only for pop3 and imap! how does it read fetchmailed messages?

- sandip