Re: mail in linux

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 02:27:05PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> 1.    how do i run fetchmail? as a daemon or what?

If you have a permanent net connection, then you can run it as a daemon.
Edit /etc/fetchmailrc and start /etc/init.d/fetchmail.  If not, then
just setup your ~/.fetchmailrc and run fetchmail when you feel like it.

> 2.    can i ask fetchmail to download only headers and delete unwanted
> headers off the server only?

I don't think so...Why would you want to do this?  Are you getting that
much spam?

> 3.    after fetchmail fetches mail, where will it put it?

By default, fetchmail hands off mail to your MTA.  In your case, this is
Exim.  Exim, again by default, puts it in /var/mail/<username>.  I don't
know if Mozilla can read a mbox mail spool though...

> 4.    are there any easy to configure utilities that will segregate mail
> finally downloaded?

Procmail seems to be king for this sort of thing.  Read the tutorial at
procmail.org or the Quickstart guide
(/usr/share/doc/procmail/Quickstart) to get you started.  If you have a
~/.procmailrc file then Exim will you use procmail to deliver your mail
automatically.

> 4.    which software do i use to read the mail fetched by fetchmail? can
> i use mozilla?

I don't know if Mozilla can read mbox's; I use mutt and it works great.

> 5.    any other stuff that might be useful/ interesting etc.

You've got a much greater range of choices under Linux with mail,
compared to Windows.  The setup I use is
fetchmail->exim->procmail->mutt, which seems to be fairly popular around
here.

There are a number of advantages to splitting up the task into little
pieces like this:

Firstly, each bit is replaceable.  I've been hearing good things about
mailagent; if I decided to switch to using it to filter my mail, then I
just need to modify my ~/.forward file to tell Exim about it, and that's
it.  If I decide that postfix would be fun, then that's easy to swap out
too.

Secondly, each bit does it's job extremely well.  Exim has been around
for years, and people hammer on it hard.  It's extremely well tested,
and I can't think of the last time that someone found a functional bug
in it.  Compared to Mozilla, which still crashes on me every few days.
Apples and oranges, maybe, but simple tools that do one thing well has
shown itself to be a good way to code.

Lastly, all these tools are extremely extensible.  Say I want to start
filtering my mail based on the number of characters in the message; if I
were using Mozilla to fetch my mail from a POP server, then I'd have
some serious hacking to do to the Moz code base.  With procmail, I just
need a single rule.

-rob