Re: how do I change the startup settings so that the GUI desktop does not automatically start

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 21:44:18 -0700 (PDT)
EasyStreet <easystreet123@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Starting Gnome Display Manager. gdm.
> Not Starting the K Desktop Manager (kdm); it is
> not the default display manager.
> Not starting the X Display Manager (xdm); it is
> not the default display manager.
>
> Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 debian tty1
>
> debian login:
>
> how do I change the startup settings so that the
> GUI desktop does not automatically start?

This may be the Wrong Way, but assuming your default runlevel is 2 like
mine is, I would do

  rm /etc/rc2.d/S[0-9][0-9]gdm

as root. This is reversible, as a copy of the file should still be in
/etc/rcS.d. Maybe you should also delete the kdm and xdm things from
/etc/rc2.d as well.

Rupert