Re: OT: Reasons why few takers on MS "Open Source"

On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 02:06, Kent West wrote:
> I understand that one of the the reasons that Microsoft's "Open Source"
> program has had few takers is because Microsoft's license is "viral" (to
> borrow MS's term for the GPL); once you see their code, there's a risk
> that any code you develop thereafter could be "tainted".
>
> Does anyone have any links to more info to this effect, or have any
> opinions? I've basically told someone the above, and now need to
> document it somewhat.

I think you mean "shared-source". I don't think they've ever called it
open source, nor should they, because it isn't open source.

I remember the register had some articles about this.
www.thregister.co.uk and do a search.

Slashdot might have some stories and links.

The other reference is microsoft.com and see if you can find a copy of
the "shared-source" license.

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington