Re: how do I change the startup settings so that the GUI desktop does not automatically start

EasyStreet said:
> That solved the problem.  However I read the
> manpage and I am unsure how to restore them.  Now
> I am more interested in learning how to start
> them separitely and to configure them.  Right now
> they don't work (hence the blinking screen), I
> would like to look at the configuration files and
> then try them manually after altering the config
> files.
>
> Any ideas on a good process for this?

to reconfigure them the most likely command I can think of
is:

dpkg-reconfigure gdm
(or kdm or xdm)

to start them manually:
/etc/init.d/gdm start
(or kdm or xdm)

to restore them:

update-rc.d gdm defaults
(or kdm or xdm)

you really only need 1 display manager, I would reccomend removing
the 2 you don't plan on using(I personally use kdm, even though
I don't use kde)

nate