Re: how do I change the startup settings so that the GUI desktop does not automatically start

    "nate" == debian-user  <nate> writes:

    nate> EasyStreet said:
    >> The last text printed before the login is:
    >> -------------------------------------- Starting Gnome Display
    >> Manager. gdm.  Not Starting the K Desktop Manager (kdm); it is
    >> not the default display manager.  Not starting the X Display
    >> Manager (xdm); it is not the default display manager.

    nate> what i would do:

    nate> update-rc.d -f kdm remove
    nate> update-rc.d -f gdm remove
    nate> update-rc.d -f xdm remove

Keep in mind that if you do this all the links are removed. If you
ever reinstall kdm, gdm or xdm they will be recreated. Using
update-rc.d is something good for debian packages. It is rarely what
an admin wants to do. If you read update-rc.d's man page carefully
this should become clear.

It is better (IMHO) to rename the S99gdm links etc. for your default
runlevel (usually 2, see /etc/inittab, so the links are in /etc/rc2.d)
to K99gdm etc. (actually, I would suggest K01gdm etc.)

Cheers!
Shyamal