Re: OT: e-mail question

Rodney Green wrote:
Example:

webmaster@domain.com

If the accounts are dependent on a system user account there can only be one
webmaster account. Of course, an alias
can be setup that points webmaster@seconddomain.com to a different local
system user like webmaster2. With some
e-mail systems I've seen (Windows based) the full e-mail address is used as
the account name instead of a system user
account. So, in the client the pop3 user would be setup as
webmaster@domain.com instead of just webmaster. Get
what I'm saying? :-)

You have to remember that there's at least 3 places where that address can apply, and they're all independent systems: POP3 or IMAP authentication (POP3/IMAP server), return or sender address (mail client), and inbound routing (SMTP server, like exim).

I say that because I detect a little confusion on that point in your posting. Or maybe you're just being brief. :-)

That said, sticking point is probably non-Unix POP3/IMAP authentication, and Cyrus can apparently do this using Kerberos, and Courier can do it with a variety of mechanisms.

I'd look at Courier, if it were I.  :-)