Re: exim configuration

    "Sandip" == Sandip P Deshmukh <Sandip> writes:

    Sandip> all right. it again gave back some nice data. can i use
    Sandip> smtp.yahoo.com bydns_a in router configuration? i ask this
    Sandip> because there are occassions when my local smtp server is
    Sandip> dead. as a result, i can connect to the net but mail wont
    Sandip> go out!

I guess you could. I do not know what yahoo's policy is about
accepting mail from unknown networks. My guess is they will not accept
your mail for delivery.

    Sandip> typically, i will like to use the nt server as default
    Sandip> smarthost, failing which, i will like to use, say,
    Sandip> smtp.yahoo.com. can this be done?

Yes, by putting them in the route_list.

    >>  Yes, and no. In theory you should be able to do this. In
    >> practice, if you look up an MX record for the domain you are
    >> sending mail to,
    >>
    Sandip> how do i do this?

    >> and try to connect to that mail server,
    >>
    Sandip> and how do i do this as well?

Run eximconfig, choose option 1, then edit the exim.conf file to get
it all okay for your specific part of the world. That is the theory,
I've never actually done this.

    Sandip> but doesnt report an error. dig -t A returned some nice
    Sandip> looking data. so dns lookup seems not to be a problem. by
    Sandip> the way, do not all machines who have a dns server entry
    Sandip> have dns lookup ability?
    >>  Only if the /etc/resolve.conf file is correct ;-)
    >>
    Sandip> i did not get this part. by dns server entry, i meant the
    Sandip> hostnames are being resolved properly.

Ah! But hostnames are resolved via the /etc/resolve.conf entries for
many networked computers. If you don't know how exactly the resolution
is done, read the DNS HOWTO.

Seriously, try using your NT server as a smarthost. Send a mail. If it
fails, look in /var/logs/exim and see what exim said about the
delivery attempt.

Cheers!
Shyamal