Re: exim configuration

    "Sandip" == Sandip P Deshmukh <Sandip> writes:

    Sandip> well, here is what i discovered wrt questions shyamal had
    Sandip> asked.  i am yet to understand the term smtp smart host.

Hi Sandip,

A 'smarthost' is the term used in an exim configuration where a single
SMTP server (the 'smarthost') will accept SMTP connnections from your
network or host, and will relay these email onwards with headers that
identify you in a manner acceptable to both you and the owner of your
smarthost (typically your ISP).

With a dial up or other ISP account you will typically be given the
'smarthost' address, though the term 'smarthost' will not be
used. This is what you put in Netscape, Mozilla, Outlook or whatever
MUA you would use on a PC. An example of a smarthost is
'smtp.yahoo.com' (Try 'dig smtp.yahoo.com' to see what I mean :-)

    Sandip> the way i look at it is, i am connected to the net. i have
    Sandip> dns servers resolving hostnames for me. do i still need
    Sandip> something else *on some other machine* to send mails?

Strictly speaking not. In reality, you will probably need a
smarthost. See below.

    Sandip> anyway, here are answers:

    Sandip> so far as smarthost is concerned, i do not know yet! but
    Sandip> frankly, i think a machine with the net access and dns
    Sandip> access should be in a position to send e-mails independent
    Sandip> of other machines (read -
    Sandip> smarthost). of course, correct me if i am wrong

Yes, and no. In theory you should be able to do this. In practice, if
you look up an MX record for the domain you are sending mail to, and
try to connect to that mail server, the server may not accept mail for
you. You can thank spammers etc. for the closing of the old internet
when you could do this stuff.

If you want to do this use eximconfig and choose option 1, not the
smarthost option. You will probably need to do a lot of configuration
until you get all mails going, and even then you would need a
smarthost like server for a 'default' route. You should read the Mail
HOWTO documents.

    Sandip> yes. i can do dns lookup from my machine. dig throws back
    Sandip> some numbers -

Good.

    Sandip> but doesnt report an error. dig -t A returned some nice
    Sandip> looking data. so dns lookup seems not to be a problem. by
    Sandip> the way, do not all machines who have a dns server entry
    Sandip> have dns lookup ability?

Only if the /etc/resolve.conf file is correct ;-)

    Sandip> so, some solution on this?

Your best bet would be to use the "NT server" you have described in
the past as the smarthost. Put the IP address for the NT server on
your LAN in the smarthost entry in exim.conf and use the 'byname'
option.

Cheers!
Shyamal