From Modem to DSL or Sask-Tel Enhanced High Speed Internet

Hello Debian Users
I am migrating my Woody firewall machine from dial up modem to static IP
DSL. In Saskatchewan Canada that's Sask-Tel Enhanced High Speed
Internet.

I put the second NIC into the last pci slot. It is a DLINK DFE-538TX/R that
usees the RTL8139 or the 8139too module.

They are both compiled into the Kernel ( 2.14 ? ) as modules.

As this is my second NIC I am struggling to get the card recognized at boot
up.

I know the card works because I am using it now in M$ to send this plea.

Would someone like to point me to a document?  The Ethernet howto has me
confused.