Re: downloading packages

If your friend's computer is a x86 intel, go to the
debian.org webpage and burn just the cd 1 binary.

There you will find everything you need (including x
windows, desktops environments, etc, etc).

I recommend you to read the installation manual while
doing the installation.

good luck

Rhodri

Here the instalation manual

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

and here the pages where you have images to burn the
cd with

http://www.debian.org/CD/

if you've got a x86 intel and bandwith, the easiest
option is to download images using ftp or http

Here you have one situated in your country

http://ftp.zcu.cz/ftp/pub/linux/debian-cd/3.0_r0/i386/

for example, choose the binary-1.iso

Hi,