Re: Enterprise Kernel

[slightly reformatted due]
On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 10:20:13AM +0800, Patrick Cheong Shu Yang wrote:
> All,
>
> On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 09:46, Edward Guldemond wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 09:01:15AM +0800, Patrick Cheong Shu Yang wrote:
> > >
> > > I had to re-compile the kernel to map the RAM above 1GB. Are there plans
> > > to include kernels compiled/built for the enterprise in mind...this
> > > would surely help in making Debian the choice of distribution when it
> > > comes to the enterprise...maybe calling it
> > > kernel-image-2.4.18-868-smp-enterprise or something...
> > >
> > > Thoughts anyone?
> > >

> > I don't know if this is planned, but with kernel-source-2.4.xx and
> > kernel-package, you're good.  Just build the kernel on one machine, and
> > install the resulting .deb on the rest.
> >

> That is exactly what I did....but that would not be what a SysAdm would
> want...he/she would want to just select an 'enterprise' kernel from the
> package list.
>
> One has to bear in mind that not all SysAdm know how to re-compile a
> kernel...and using kernel-package to do it...:-P
>
> If the Debian community is to encourage the use of Debian as the
> distribution choice for the enterprise, this may be one of the many ways
> to help it along...

As a more short-term measure, you would probably benefit from setting up
your own apt source to use within the company. Then build a kernel with
kernel-package and make it available there (and you get to name it like
you want - not too keen on "enterprise" myself...). The debian package
repository howto may be useful for you here.

HTH

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com