Browser Resources (was Re: Lighter window managers)

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 11:20, Jamin W.Collins wrote:
> On 21 Oct 2002 21:44:26 -0400 "Mark L. Kahnt" <kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Galeon requires the bulk of the mozilla packaging: mozilla-browser,
> > because the pertinent parts (ie. Gecko) are not packaged separately as
> > yet. Galeon is hence anything but minimalist,
>
> True.  However, I challenge you to find a browser that is as (or more)
> compliant/supported within the Debian package list that uses less system
> resources to run.  I'm not aware of one in the Debian package list.
> Galeon does use less resources than Mozilla.  Granted, you take up more
> drive space, but if I have to choose between using a smaller portion of
> CPU and Memory or more space on my HD, I choose the former.  Personally, I
> use Dillo and Phoenix.  While Dillo is nice, fast and small it's still far
> behind on support for many items.

To be honest, I don't presume that software implementing anything
broadly featured and varied in function as a browser to be as sleek and
small in footprint as the CP/M kernel (4 KiB, iirc, although that only
included five built-in user commands.) Comparing Phoenix and Galeon,
both of which are carrying extra Mozilla code they aren't using, I find
Phoenix *on my system* to be far more stable, honestly, but my
experience is that Galeon has a way of repeatedly falling out of sync
with Mozilla on my system, meaning it isn't available.

Galeon also tends to open on my system *most of the time* observing that
it hadn't exited the previous session properly - and that is true - the
vast majority of times I've used Galeon, it eventually has crashed (as
in under half an hour of moderate use.) Maybe that influences why I
don't particularly like it, but I've also never seen the reported
improvement in resource footprint relative to other browsers,
particularly Konqueror if you already are using KDE - it just *seems* to
me to be a different wrapper on the underlying browser.

I would just not assert that it is minimalist, having used Mosaic and,
back in my OS/2 era, IBM WebExplorer.

> > Anyhow, mozilla-browser *is* a Debian package, unless it was just yanked
> > from the pools.
>
> Never claimed it wasn't.  If you'll note, I did indicate that the mozilla
> package pulled in mozilla-browser and others.
>
> --
> Jamin W. Collins
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935