Re: Lighter window managers

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 15:34, Jamin W.Collins wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:26:57 -0400 jeff <jmr71769@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > and a nice screenshot of my current desktop:
> >
> > http://home.earthlink.net/~jmr71769/screenshot.jpg
> >
> > this is a complete minimalist one liner:
> >
> > apt-get install fluxbox xterm mozilla xmms xchat gaim xserver-xfree86
> > gpm xbase-clients xfonts-100dpi xfonts-base xscreesaver linuxlogo
> > xpenguins
>
> You can't be serious, listing both xterm and mozilla and claiming it's
> minimalist?  First, rxvt is _much_ lighter than xterm (about half to
> two-thirds the size).  Second, using "mozilla" in your apt-get will pull
> in mozilla-browser, mozilla-mailnews, and mozilla-psm.  Phoenix (even at
> v0.3) is a much better choice, but if you're looking for a solution that
> uses only Debian pacakges, try Galeon or Skipstone.  Third, drop the
> amusements linuxlogo and xpenguins.
>
> --
> Jamin W. Collins

Galeon requires the bulk of the mozilla packaging: mozilla-browser,
because the pertinent parts (ie. Gecko) are not packaged separately as
yet. Galeon is hence anything but minimalist, it just hides the bloat in
installed code for XUL support that it isn't using. The other parts of
mozilla not required are relatively small - XUL presentations and
nominal backends to implement these functions. Anyhow, mozilla-browser
*is* a Debian package, unless it was just yanked from the pools.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org