Re: Lighter window managers

Russell wrote:

Hi all,

I've been using fvwm2, and it has tons of configuration options,
which i find hard to master.

What are some good window managers that are even more light weight,
have less options (simpler to configure), and work well?

I'm into functionality more than flashness.

A large desktop that uses the screen as a window onto it would be useful.
A pop-up menu to select applications, and icons for applications would
be useful, but i don't mind editing the config file for this capability.

Is anything extra needed to run a gnome or kde application?

http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/

and a nice screenshot of my current desktop:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jmr71769/screenshot.jpg

this is a complete minimalist one liner:

apt-get install fluxbox xterm mozilla xmms xchat gaim xserver-xfree86 gpm xbase-clients xfonts-100dpi xfonts-base xscreesaver linuxlogo xpenguins

and you're good to go  :-)

good luck!

-jeff